Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Easy and Inexpensive DIY Subway Art

I love subway art but think it is crazy expensive, so I did some Pinterest searching.  After reviewing a variety of DIYs I decided to venture out and make my own.



Step one:  Take a photo of something that is the color you wish your background to be. I wanted a black background so I took a picture of my son's black curtains. This is what it looked like (next picture).  Not the prettiest picture, but was just what I needed.  I even liked how the texture of the fabric gives a denim look to the background.


Step two:  Upload your photo to PicMonkey.  Go thorough the Edit option and then begin adding Text blocks to your photo, typing your text in different sizes and fonts. This took a while of fiddling around and changing fonts and sizes until I got the look I wanted. Be sure to leave enough room at the top and bottom of your "photo" so it will fit on the photo poster you are going to make. Once you have your text done, save your project to your computer.




Step three:  Upload your subway art "photo" to the photo developer of choice.  I chose Walgreens because with their coupon I could get a 16x20 poster for $10.  By ordering your subway art as a poster you save a ton of money!  I was able to pick up my poster the next day.

Step four: Get a framed canvas from your local craft store and prepare the edges in a color that matches your background.  For me that was black. Let it dry completely.




Step five: Next you will Mod Podge your poster to the canvas.  When you Mod Podge the poster be sure to paint the Mod Podge on the top of the canvas and the back of your poster, completely covering the surface area of both.   Press the poster on the canvas, making sure it is straight and the edges line up. Now paint Mod Podge on top of the photo poster.



I painted four coats of Mod Podge on top, letting it dry completely between coats


Love the way this turned out.  We made it for my kids high school choir director who is an amazing woman and blessing to so many.










No comments:

Post a Comment